A Day in the Life of an Intern at the Rep

Seattle Repertory Theatre Interns Blog

Monday, March 12, 2007

A Letter from a Stage Management Intern

Hi Chimmie,*

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, but here I am!

So, my experiences here as an intern...

Overall, it's been extraordinarily beneficial to my development as a stage manager and as a theatre professional. I had worked a lot in university theatre and also in summer stock before I came here, and have found my time at the Rep to be an invaluable experience. People are forever using the phrase "bridging the gap" when they talk about moving into the professional world and it's really true. For me, this internship has been a great stepping stone into the world of regional theatre. Here, I've been able to grow in the way I work and to learn about how stuff actually happens at a professional level. As an SM, it's important to know what the Development or Communications departments do, because they are going to interact with your actors, and you don't generally have access to departments like these unless you're at a regional level. I have also been able to make some great contacts, which as I'm sure you know is one of the most helpful things in terms of getting work. A lot of people here have worked in New York, or know people there, so though it's Seattle, there is still an "in" into NY that way.

As an SM intern, I am assigned to 3 out of 9 shows in the season; two in the Bagley Wright (the larger theatre) and one in the Leo K (the smaller theatre). In the BW, there is an Equity Stage Manager and Equity ASM, and you are the third member of the team. In the Leo K, you are the ASM, though your official title is "intern." Though it depends on the stage managers you're working with, I would say we are basically treated as members of the SM team. I would also say we (interns) are all respected and treated by staff members in that same way. So for example, if the props master has a question about a note in a report, and comes down to the office but you're the only one there, they'll ask you the question. Don't get me wrong, you make coffee too, but I never ever felt like someone's coffee b**ch. We have a dishwasher here too—so no mug washing. :-)

As far as the stipend, it is totally possible to live on ___ a week. I also saved money from my summer work so that I could move cross-country and live here. Seattle isn't super expensive city when compared to New York or Boston or San Francisco. I am also pretty lucky and live in a house with 9 other people (it's very nice actually, and not as bad as it may sound), so I only pay 425/month which includes utilities. The Rep website has info. on where to live and how to look for housing. Wallingford and Ballard are good areas to check out. It's hard to have a second job as an SM intern, but you could try and find something to take on during the day when you are in performance.

Hopefully that information was helpful. Anyhow, let me know if I can answer any more questions for you.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Deborah
Stage Management Intern

*Name has been changed to protect the innocent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home