A Day in the Life of an Intern at the Rep

Seattle Repertory Theatre Interns Blog

Monday, March 05, 2007

Frogs

Well, it's monday. That's a start. Down in the shop, things have been slow lately. We're waiting on the final drawings for "Gem of the Ocean" so that we can get started. In the meantime, I have been working on one of my many personal skill-building projects. Frogs. Thats right. Frogs.

For my last project, I wanted to learn more about painting. So, I learned some different techniques and painted a door in the shop with stencils and in the style of a Monet waterlilies painting. After much discussion in the shop, it was decided that my waterlilies needed a frog. My next project became making one. If you have never worked with Friendly Plastic, you are missing out. It is one of the best products ever. A meltable, moldable plastic that I eventually made my frog out of. Now, I would have left it at that, except as I said before, the shop was a little slow. So, my next project became casting and molding. Needless to say, I now have a collection of frogs made with a variety of materials and painted in a bunch of different ways. Not a bad way to spend your afternoons.

I've also been working on a few things for "My Name is Rachel Corrie" the last week or so. Rachel Corrie was very crafty as a person. So, I got to make some fun artsy-crafty things for the set, including a papermaché bowl. Remember? Like the kind that you made as a kid by covering a balloon with newspaper and glue and then popping it when dry? I love that stuff. Also, I worked on some collage art that the actress did. I melted candlewax all over it and stuck seashells to it to make it look like something you find in a hippy college apartment. Lots of fun.

Ok! Thats all for now.
Your friendly props person signing off-
Katie C.

1 Comments:

At Sunday, March 11, 2007 11:56:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi there, I am a soon-to-be graduate who just found about about your company and program. I was wondering if you would be willing to share any more details about what it's like doing props. My email is vagrant.impulse@gmail.com and I hope to correspond with you, thank you for your time!

Joe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home