A Day in the Life of an Intern at the Rep

Seattle Repertory Theatre Interns Blog

Friday, March 09, 2007

The Alleged 12th Intern

Hello,

It’s me, Jenn, the fabled 12th Intern. It has been, and continues to be a whirlwind here in paint land. Whether I’m assisting the full time professional crew on the productions or working on my own projects, there is never a dull moment.

My half of this season started with a landscape using anything but a brush. It was a great mind-stretching experience as I foraged for anything and everything to push, pull, slosh, drop, drizzle, or smear the paint onto the canvas.

Deadline met, I moved onto the tin-foil lion sculpture extravaganza. Using somewhat experimental techniques, I forged a lion’s face out of tin foil and hot glue, covered it in “Kim Board” (you’ll have to ask), and proceeded to faux paint weathered pealing paint on “concrete” with lots of mossy goodness.

Step two: paint marble. Step three: paint lion’s head over marble as if the lion was carved from the marble. End product: super-sweet despite my inevitable weariness of the lion subject.

After that, I was a rusting machine. By which I mean, a machine which creates rust, not a machine that is rusting. Fire On The Mountain hit the shop, and I more or less headed-up the rusting efforts with assistance from my fellow intern, Angie. Fun with Ferris Sulfate, woo-hoo.

Then there was my portrait on velour. I took a self-portrait by Mengs and swapped the head for that of my dear friend, the lovely and talented Lawrence. Most onlookers were contented with just the value study, but eventually the day came to wash it over with color. All went home happy.

We are now on the cusp of painting a gigantic drop for Gem of the Ocean. Its HUGE, like 3 times the size of drops I used to paint in Duluth. It’s fantastic. And somehow the 4 of us (myself plus the three regular painters) are supposed to finish it in 3 days. Wish us luck!

Jenn
Scenic Arts Intern, Part Deux

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home