A Day in the Life of an Intern at the Rep

Seattle Repertory Theatre Interns Blog

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Can't Think. Face Hurts. Tired.

Just had the first day of rehearsal for Gem of the Ocean, directed by the magnificent Phylicia Rashad. I am officially no longer an intern--since I'm the Casting intern, I started and ended significantly earlier than everyone else. However, the Rep can't get rid of me that easily---I've been hired to freelance as Phylicia's assistant on this show.

Unfortunately, the general jubilation that this blog should be expressing is clearly well hidden under a blanket of fatigue. Tired, tired, tired. No longer making a whopping ___ dollars a week, but still exhausted. The artistic intern's rush into production is just that--a rush! You make the giant and seemingly unending actor packet, and as soon as it ends and you think you can just collapse into bed proud of a job well done, you have to get up and actually do the show you've been preparing for all that time.

Did I mention my face hurts? Maybe my hair, too. Yes, I'm sure I mentioned it. Theatre is so glamorous.

Wait, just got distracted by my fellow artsitic intern, Kati. It was very important we discuss the "ordering a pizza and watching tv" portion of the evening. But now she is busy learning about Russia, so I can continue blogging. Blog. Blog. Blog. I'm tired.

The read-through was great. They are always great. Not only do you learn so much about the play (often about things you didn't even know you didn't know), but it's so immediately invigorating to realize that you aren't doing this work on the text alone anymore--it's often your first glimpse at the other members of your team. Actors at the Rep are consistently wonderful, but somehow the wonderfulness of each new cast always manages to be a surprise. Wondefulness? Is that a word? I don't care...

After the read-through, we had the meet and greet where the cast and crew are able to meet the Rep staff members. There is always food (Thank God!) and the designers and directors give you a glimpse into their vision of the play. These meetings are welcoming for the cast and physically connect staff members with every show. It's important to feel that connection to each show--important to get that glimpse into the thought process. Sometimes you get so busy working that you feel a disconnect from the art. It all goes so quickly... TANGENT.

Okay, I'm done. Must go sleep and get ready for tomorrow. I need to do a little more research before rehearsal, so I need to be up earlier than I want to.

I hope any of this made sense. I know I didn't use a synonym for anything. Sorry. I assume you know that my tired may be affecting my writing.

---Erin
Casting Intern '06-07 "grad"
Assitant to Phylicia Rashad for Gem of the Ocean

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, March 07, 2007 7:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG!!!! I am so jealous and yet happy for you. Why jealous? I am so the biggest Phylicia Rashad fan I know. My friends tell me I am the biggest they know too but she has earned it I think. As one of the most underrated actresses in history, her work and love of the arts have inspired me. Her grace and wisdom are unparalleled. Her intergrity a quality lacking in so many others.
I have bought tickets to 15 shows thus far and plan to buy a ticket to every show. I love Mr. Wilson's plays. Knowing the love she has for his plays and the respect she holds for him, I know it will be fabulous.
Why happy? Because it reads as though you are fan too and have been given an opportunity you probably only dreamed of if anything. I am sure this will be the most tiring & exciting time for you and a time you will definitely tell your future generations about.


Smiling from ear to ear,
Dee b.k.a. phylicias#1fan

 
At Monday, September 22, 2008 2:38:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

InternZoo.com offers an online database of Education internships. Just perform a google search for Education internships New York, or Education internships California to find us.InternZoo.com offers an online database of Education internships.Get more at Education Internship New York,Education Internships California,Education Internships,Summer Education Internships,Paid Education Internships.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home