A Day in the Life of an Intern at the Rep

Seattle Repertory Theatre Interns Blog

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Today at The Rep

Can I first say that for any aspiring Communications Interns, that one of your responsibilities (official or unofficial) will be to make the other interns blog. I'm just sayin'...

In the building today, we have first rehearsal for MY NAME IS RACHEL CORRIE, tech rehearsal for FIRE ON THE MOUNTAIN and a performance of BLUE DOOR. Even though we are getting near the end of our season and our internships, we are not nearly done. There are still three more shows yet to open and many things to do. What kind of theatre would we be if about a hundred things weren't happening at once.

My day will include collecting contracts and paperwork from artists at RACHEL CORRIE first rehearsal; Sitting in on FIRE ON THE MOUNTAIN tech and keeping the tech snack bowl stocked (I take pride in my work) and also running errands if necessary (but it is seldom necessary. Basically, as the PM intern during tech, I am there to observe how the production manager oversees the tech process and facilitates communication between guest artists and staff and between the departments here. If all goes well, the production manager's job is fairly easy, but if problems arise, they spring into action (like a superhero?!) and calm the waters so the show runs smoothly. This year, since we have had several production mangers, I have seem a few different styles and it has been a good learning experience.

FIRE ON THE MOUNTAIN and BLUE DOOR are both shows that have been produced elsewhere. We are utilizing the same directors and most of the same design team from the previous productions. As I recall, they are not a true "co-production" but the communication and collaboration between the theatres is definitely there. Honestly, I still don't quite understand the definition of a true co-production. Maybe that is something I should accomplish before my internship ends, eh? But I bring this up because I've noticed that regional theatres often work together in various ways to produce a show. I didn't really understand that until I worked here. I have also become very aware that the theatre community nation-wide is very VERY small. If you piss someone off today, you will inevitably run into them somewhere down the line.
Alright I have to go meet with the Company Manager to go over contract stuff.

Chris - Production

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home