A Day in the Life of an Intern at the Rep

Seattle Repertory Theatre Interns Blog

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

All My Teenage Boys

I just sent out a company-wide email asking everyone if they knew any teen boys who could act. Of course, I immediately received about ten responses implying that I shouldn't use company-wide emails to facilitate my craddle-robbing ways.

Actually, I was looking for suggestions for our upcoming production of Fire on the Mountain--NOT a date for Friday night. We don't often cast juvenile actors in our plays, so Jerry (the Casting Director) and I wanted to start thinking outside the box about where we were going to find these little puppies. So I called just about every other theatre in town, sent emails to everyone I knew, and looked back through about six seasons worth of casting files.

Sometimes as the casting intern, I feel like a reporter following up leads for a big story. Except I don't get to wear a trench coat. And Jerry and I don't meet in dark alleys or parking garages. But other than that, when casting roles that require a type of actor the Rep doesn't usually use (kids are a great example), I get to be this whole new kind of crazy and resourceful. And it's kind of exhilarating looking for the right person for a role--much like it would probably be to write a front page story for the NY Times; you know the information (or, in my case, the actor) is out there, but its up to you to find it.

Anyway, I have to get back to finding young boys and creating the actor packet for Gem of the Ocean (more on that later). I'll check in as time and procrastination permit.

--Erin Kraft, Artistic/Casting Intern

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home